Ice Labs Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ice labs forum, a forum for everything you need!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Music tastes...

Go down 
+3
Joe
AILD
Crazychristian
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What is your favourite type of music?
Classic Rock
Music tastes... - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Music tastes... - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Rock
Music tastes... - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Music tastes... - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 50% [ 5 ]
Heavy Metal
Music tastes... - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%Music tastes... - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Hardcore Metal
Music tastes... - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Music tastes... - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Blues
 0% [ 0 ]
Country
 0% [ 0 ]
Rap
 0% [ 0 ]
Grunge
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Joe
Apprentice
Apprentice
Joe

Music tastes... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 4:34 pm

Ya you are right, but I'm not mad or anything. I'm just trying to get a general idea of how they are different. Its more like a question than an argument. But ya you guys are right, its not bad music I just dont like it. But that doesnt mean Im not open. This is just one sub-genre. Like one that i dont listen to out of 50 that I DO listen to.
Back to top Go down
Crazychristian
Admin
Admin
Crazychristian

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 5:31 pm

Ok, first off I agree with jeff and val about liking the music and everything. But Joe is right, it is an open discussion, not an argument.

And lets not turn it into a war about who's music is cooler or I listen to better music then you or I listen to more music then you. I have seen that happen...
Back to top Go down
https://icelabs.forummotion.com
scott
Initiate
Initiate
scott

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 6:14 pm

WAIT.... if AC/DC and Led Zeppelin are hard rock then im definately hard rock so minus one from rock and put hard rock.
Back to top Go down
AILD
VIP
VIP
AILD

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 6:31 pm

ha Scott, I made the same mistake! You can't really get it changed and why does it even really matter?
Back to top Go down
Crazychristian
Admin
Admin
Crazychristian

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 6:33 pm

it deos not necessarily matter, it is just the general type of music you listen to. But I think the trend is for softer stuff. And that is not bad, hey what ever floats your boat eh?
Back to top Go down
scott
Initiate
Initiate
scott

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:15 pm

hey val you should get a funny picture for your profile.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Apprentice
Apprentice
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:17 pm

well I guess it sounds kinda snotty to say this, but the vast, VAST majority of music is what you guys would call 'softer stuff'. I mean if you took everything heavier than, say, SOAD, and lumped it ionto a category, it would probably be like less than .0001% of all the music from the 70s up. Not even kidding. Im not swaying it doesnt exist, but me saying I dont like 'heavier stuff' is not like me saying I dont like 'Old Music'. The sheer size is incomparable. But ya you guys are right, whatever you like is valid. Obviously your stuff has got to be good music for it to attract so many people, I just dont care for the sound.
Back to top Go down
Crazychristian
Admin
Admin
Crazychristian

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:23 pm

ok I understand what you are saying joe, but read my sig: 98% of statistics are false (hehe irony). .0001%? no....definitly not. Granted yes what I called "softer stuff" is the majority, but now adays a lot of people listen to "heavier stuff". It is not as little of a category as you think.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Apprentice
Apprentice
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:49 pm

K mebe your right. But consider this. Think of how long this 'heavier stuff has been around. Then think of all the Thousands of years of music without it. All the Rock music for DECADES was COMPLETELY 'not heavier stuff'. Now when it came out its still a fairly low percentage of the music being produced. For example, iTunes heavily supports the 'heavier stuff' and doesnt buy as much, say, classical. Now, 1)how often have you seen the 'heavier stuff' advertised on the front page? 2)When I ran some random music searches, less than about 30% was Rock, on average (out of 7 tests). Now in the rock category, I would say there are 2 main subsets. Alt, breaking off at about maroon 5 level of 'heaviness', and Mainstream. Alt is the vast, VAST majority of rock. (All that 'rock' girls/parents listen to, thats alt.) Mainstream, from my eastimation, is about 10% of rock, and therefore 3% of music. In mainstream, there are several sets. I approximate them about to be
1)Maroon 5 to RHCP
2)RHCP to Green Day
3Green Day to TDG
4)TDG to SOAD
5)SOAD on up
Song population wise, I'd say the 5th set, (heavier stuff) is about 1-2% of the 5, therefore .03% of total for music about 1999-present. Now this is a 'dead period'in music, during which critics say less music is being produced. So in incriments of 9 years, this is the standings.
1970-79, 0% heavy
79-88, 0% heavy
88-97, 0% heavy
97-present, .03% heavy
average, 0+0+0+0.03=.03 .03/4=.0075. I wasnt far off you have to admit. btw, im hgiving you the general edge in my argument, giving you the rounding, etc.
Back to top Go down
Crazychristian
Admin
Admin
Crazychristian

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 11:08 pm

Joe honestly I did not follow you at all and remember we are talking about rock, not music in general. Could you clarify random searches? and Alt is maybe 75% AT MOST. Mainstream is pretty big. I would say you are kind of ok on the other things but I still do not believe "heavy stuff" is .0075%. We are talking about rock. I would say bump up the percent to integers. (probably not anything above 5%).
Back to top Go down
Joe
Apprentice
Apprentice
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 7:35 pm

Sorry I didnt know it was just rock. The thread was favorite genre. But still think of ALL rock. EVER. LIke Rock was founded in like the 50s. I dont exactly know when your heavy stuff started being produced, but try this. Go to downtown Minneapolis. Every club you see, (try like every couple blocks or so, so like 30) is now a 'heavy stuff' club, with new live bands every night who all produce not 'heavy' albums. Copy this for like all the major cities in the WORLD and you have hundreds of cities. This is the world's main source of music. This was how the world's powerhouses started up. Led Zeppelin. Beatles. All in little clubs. And I have NEVER seen one of those clubs to this day that plays that. Search a random word on the iTunes search and see how many hits are death metal. Not many. And mind you that iTunes doesn't have those 'little bands'. Hundreds of bands that are created every day aren't on there and almost none of them are death metal. Remember that our era is only a small percentage of rock EVER.
Back to top Go down
Crazychristian
Admin
Admin
Crazychristian

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 7:45 pm

uhhh...what the heck, u are contradicting yourself all over the place. First you say all the clubs play heavy stuff...but not...and ugh...I am confused
Back to top Go down
Joe
Apprentice
Apprentice
Joe

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 7:55 pm

o sry instead of now i meant "not" sry that was bad
Back to top Go down
0.0 Atom 0.0
Apprentice
Apprentice
0.0 Atom 0.0

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 7:55 pm

Ya i dont understand any of this either :scratch:
Back to top Go down
towerdude
Apprentice
Apprentice
towerdude

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 8:43 pm

joe and christian, we're teenagers. im pretty sure none of us are experts. so stop it with the percentages and comprimising ur arguments just to argue OR ILL HAVE TUH SMACK U BO-AH!

but one point, there are thousands of crummy local (not just here i mean small bands everywhere) uber heavy screamer bands. but what do i no.
Back to top Go down
scott
Initiate
Initiate
scott

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 9:21 pm

towerdude wrote:
but one point, there are thousands of crummy local (not just here i mean small bands everywhere) uber heavy screamer bands. but what do i no.

Like the kind jeff wants to start and be singer for...
Back to top Go down
towerdude
Apprentice
Apprentice
towerdude

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 10:09 pm

haha, yeah true jeff thats what u've been talking about a lot recently.
Back to top Go down
Crazychristian
Admin
Admin
Crazychristian

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 10:38 pm

And joe, I HIGHLY DOUBT infact I will put money on the fact that you do not check these clubs out. You have no idea on what they play. Granted you might know what plays at some. But you say all supposed 30 never play heavy stuff. That is wrong. And you need to stop coming up with these statistics. You can't put numbers to music because you don't necessarily know more than your neighbor, or me. No one can truly know everything and all the percentages. I know I was trying to put a percent to it before, but you were coming up with these things that you didn't really back up and you called it fact. I am not saying it is wrong I am just saying you don't know the whole spectrum and again you can't really put percentages on music.

And there are TONS of new bands that are starting out that are heavier, You cannot dispute that. I don't think bands are coming out that are like beatles (although I bet there definitly are quite a few). But Heavy metal is not the minority. And I can back this up. When I went to the AILD concert I managed to find the owner and he was tlaking to a few guys about the bands that play there. He said there were a few hippie bands but he has been seeing less of them, and more alt and definitly a lot more heavy stuff. And AILD was not an isolated case, there were a few other small bands there that were starting out, and they had not made it yet to the big time or whatever...

So now I know why admins and mods lock this topic on other forums. It pops up all the time, and then it turns into a flame fest. We have at least kept it somewhat civil because we are friends, but I feel it is kind of on the brink. I will lock (not delete), but lock this if need be.

Last edited by Crazychristian on Wed May 28, 2008 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
towerdude
Apprentice
Apprentice
towerdude

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 10:43 pm

hay hay hay u guise. group hug time. :cheers:

haha it looks like my pic is holdin up the smiley =P
Back to top Go down
AILD
VIP
VIP
AILD

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:50 pm

READY!!! AIM!!! FIRE!!! and that was the 10:50 news....
Back to top Go down
AILD
VIP
VIP
AILD

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 11:46 am

and Joe, fyi, we are gonnna be starting a heavy/everyhting else band and all of my high school/college friends started heavy bands. And yes that is more than 1 or 2 bands.
Back to top Go down
Crazychristian
Admin
Admin
Crazychristian

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 6:52 pm

I am kind of hesitant now. I like "light stuff" but I also want to play metal core...

I don't want to seperate our band but Val want to make a band?
Back to top Go down
towerdude
Apprentice
Apprentice
towerdude

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 7:29 pm

well christian thats what ur doing. u have to think of which band will take priority. since u guys are metal heads, ur band would be more fun.
Back to top Go down
AILD
VIP
VIP
AILD

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Then our metal head band comes in priority. We're the 'fun' band. That doesn't mean that we don't play a lighter song every now and then, something like Darkness by Disturbed, or the Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin.

And yes Christian I would love to make an exclusive crazy metal head group :geek: But that will depend of the number of people willing to do it too.
Back to top Go down
scott
Initiate
Initiate
scott

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 7:45 pm

if i get good i might be interested depending on what stuff you were thinking of playing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Music tastes...   Music tastes... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Music tastes...
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next